What a difference two years can make! The first trip Roxann and I made to Washington DC was to be at Michael’s bedside at Walter Reed Hospital after his airlift from Afghanistan . We were reeling from the news of his injuries, consumed with worry about the extent of the damage, and just barely starting to consider what sort of a future was in store for our now ‘disabled’ son. Ironically, at my lowest points emotionally, I was being lifted up and strengthened spiritually in a way I’d never experienced before. In fact, even before the doctors confirmed Michael’s eye damage was beyond repair and that he would be permanently blind, I had received a premonition that it would be so. Shortly after hearing the news, as I laid my hands on his head and gave him a Father’s Blessing through my Priesthood Authority, I remember saying “you will have the vision to see the beauty of the world”. I felt then and am certain now, that Michael has a vision far different than he would have otherwise ever considered.
Our latest trip was to attend a ceremony where Michael was awarded an “Outstanding Service Member with a Disability” award from the Department of Defense. He was one of twenty individuals from across the country recognized and honored for their contributions. To quote from the bio in the official program: “Despite only having been in the position for a few months, he has already made a positive impact on the lives of Wounded Warriors through his mentorship”. I submit this positive impact has been on many more than Wounded Warriors. I receive constant inquiries about Michael and what he’s doing from friends, co-workers, and aquaintences across the country. My brothers and sister, as well as Michael’s sisters and their husbands, who have all done so much in Michael’s behalf continue to be quizzed as well by many they know. I am always pleased to report on his latest projects and adventures and am asked so often to express people’s gratitude for the example and inspiration he is to them.
Let’s take a quick look at some of the achievements of the last twenty-three months. Learned to get out and shop on his own with a cane; learned to read Braille; learned to cook and clean without help; learned to play the banjo (and the guitar, and the drums, and now working on the violin); found a girlfriend/fiancé/wife & daughter (that’s all connected because that’s about how fast it happened and participated in the wedding and the immediate conception of a second daughter as well); mastered the iPod/iPad/iPhone because he’s too impatient to use the translating software the rehab center provided; went from Wounded Warrior to Wounded Warrior Mentor to Wounded Warrior Mentor Program Administrator; learned to work, live, and care for an amazing guide dog; packed up and moved from New Mexico to San Antonio; travelled from one end of the country to the other on more than one occasion; met Congressmen and Senators from a number of States; accompanied Steve Young and spoke to 50,000 spectators at the 4th of July Freedom Festival in Provo UT; learned to scuba dive; and without a doubt – continuously surprised his parents and made them tremendously proud of the fine man he’s become.
So here we are, two years down the road and what a trip it has been. Ms. Kathleen Martinez, head of the U.S. Dept. of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy, was the Keynote Speaker at the recent awards ceremony. One thing she said really impressed me: “The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you don’t make the turn”. I have to say, Michael has made that turn and stomped on the accelerator pedal. Figuratively speaking, he’s got the top down, the music up and he’s cruising down the road with the sun on his face and the wind in his hair. His mom and I – we’ve been in the back seat hanging on for dear life trying to look ahead to see what’s coming while grabbing at all the loose stuff to keep it from blowing out of the car. All the while wishing we were still up front in the driver’s seat in control with Michael safely seated in the back. I suppose it’s not all that different from what many parents feel when they finally let their kids have control of the steering wheel. I have to admit, Michael’s done an excellent job the last couple of years so maybe, just maybe, it’s safe to relax and enjoy the ride. We’ll try …
JimHere are a few pictures from our trip this week...








No comments:
Post a Comment