Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, September 12, 2010

Under the knife again.....

    Hey there folks!! I am finally back. So this ear surgery stuff is all coming together now. My dad took me up to the VA at 11:30 and believe it or not I think we started by 1:30. I think it is the fastest the VA has done it yet. So they put me under and opened up the back of my ear. From there they patched the hole with some tissue they found in the nearby area and then used glue to close it all up. This is the first time I have been glued but I must say I prefer it to stitches. We were on the way back home around 5:30 and I slept from then till the next morning.
    They give out some awesome head gear when they fix ears so this alone made this bit of work worth it. This gauze filled strap on softball it actually quite coomforting.  But I digress... I woke up early on Saturday as always and wanted breakfast. I got up and started making some eggs. My sisters promptly made me stop working as soon as they heard that I was up and doing things.  For some reason I just don't like to lie on my back and do nothing.

So the ear is healing well and I will be meeting with the Doc in a few days to see how things are going from a professional stand point. All I know is I can't hear yet. They say that it will be roughly a month before I start to notice any improvement.

I am very eager to put my head in the water so I hope this all continues to heal quickly. Thank you all for your continued support. It has made all the difference to me. Have a good week and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment