Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hello everyone!

    First of all I want to say that I am sorry for going so long without updating any of you of what has been going on. Heck, it has been so long that I don't even remember what I last wrote on here. I will give you all a rundown of what has been going on since  last month...
    In September Jesse, Kae and I all took a little family vacation to Oregon for Kae's birthday. We got to spend some great time with family and the only thing I accomplished on the trip was a ringer playing horse shoes on the beach one of the days we were there. Our September was about as calm as any of the months this year have been.

    As you all know, October was when I was supposed to go and get my eye worked on. Well, the trip happened...but the surgery did not. There was a lot of confusion about the dates for things and when I guess we scheduled it for the fifth they put it on the sixth and did not tell us. We had contacted a person out there and asked if  it would be ok to fly home the day after the surgery and were assured that that would be fine. So we dropped Kae off with my parents and  Jess and I took off to California again. We got there the third so had the day of the fourth to ourselves. I made sure to head back over to the blind center to talk to a few of my instructors and some of the nurses and other friends I had made. It was much nicer being there when I can freely leave instead of being there because I had to be. So the day of the supposed surgery rolls around and after fasting all day we head over to the appointment at 1:00 p.m. We sit down and find out that the surgery had been scheduled for the next day and the surgeon wants us to stay a whole extra week. Jesse and I were caught off guard and both very confused. So after all these months of waiting we had to put the surgery off until at the very soonest December. We did also find out that there will be two more surgeries instead of just one. They need to create the lip for the prostetic eye to be supported by but also create a sling type thing to raise the entire lid to where it needs to be. This  event will add about six more months to the wait for my Med board. What a trip...

    Not everything has been a let down however! Just over a week ago I had my home interview for a guide dog. They came out and asked all sorts of questions about our lives and evaluated me on how fast I walk and how much I want to be out walking with a dog. After a visit of just about a hour I was told that everything looked great! We are now waiting for a selection board to approve my case and once that happens they will start looking for a dog to be paired with. I have my fingers crossed that in the next few weeks I will be getting a phone call saying that I have been selected to receive a dog. I am so excited! I can't wait to finally be able to get out and wander around the town on my own. I do miss havin a dog as well. The school that I have been working with uses German Shepherds. I have always wanted one of them but never realy had a chance until now. We are stoked!

Well folks I again apologize for not writing in so long. I have been putting it off and writing this has kinda made me miss it. Its nice to write things down. We just had a very eventful trip to Denver which I will write about either later tonight or tomorrow and pictures will follow! Thank you all for reading and thanks to all of you who wrote me e mails asking me to get my butt in gear and get back on here.

Oh one last thing. I have just received my school work from The Hadley School for the Blind to continue my braille! I am off to get to work! Thank you all again and God bless!!!


Here I am working on my braille. How quickly I forget when I am not consistant with practice.

1 comment:

  1. Michael, I am so glad to hear you have been "approved" for a dog! I'll keep checking back to look for photos of that lucky canine!

    ReplyDelete