His flight, Hawk 91, was going to be graduating on February 6th and they wanted to know if I could be able to come down for their ceremony.
It's a longstanding tradition for graduating classes to present some sort of gift, a shadow box or something similar, to the Schoolhouse during their graduation ceremony.
Brad Smith has a shadow box there and when nearing graduation one of the instructors pointed at the picture in his box and asked them if they knew who the guy was standing next to Brad, that guy was me. A subtle hint was dropped that I might be worth looking up and possibly be considered for a shadow box of my own.
When I got the call, everything was already in place. The box was being prepared and they wanted to know if I could be there when they presented the shadow box to the Schoolhouse.
After talking with Jesse for a minute and getting her blessing, I called him back and said I would love to be there.
I flew out Tuesday and got there in time for dinner with a handful of the graduates and some friends in the area from Ft. Riley.
It was SO good to see some old friends and welcome the new ones to the brotherhood. It always makes me realize how much I miss the job and the guys when I spend time with them and it was great to be back for a short trip.
The ceremony was Wednesday morning and it brought back a lot of old memories from my own graduation. Not much has changed, including the video that is looped over and over at the beginning. I recognized the songs immediately and pretty much knew exactly what was showing on the screen.
After the class was awarded their black berets, I joined them at the front of the stage to present the shadow box and say a few words. I always try to plan a little of what I want to say before I go up but as usual, I forgot as soon as I stood up. The only thing I remember saying was that they are now walking in the footsteps of heroes and they have a reputation to live up to.
It was an honor to be there and share in their big day. I remember my own graduation back in 2007 and I remember feeling like I was on top of the world. The feeling of passing a course like that is one that is hard to match. I want to congratulate all of Hawk 91 and again welcome them to the family!
Not long after the ceremony I headed back to the airport to head home. We stopped to let Xxon relieve himself before we walked in. The poor dog stood in the middle of a pile of fire ants and spent the whole time checking and biting them off of his body. He wasn't very happy about it.
The next time I visit I intend to spend a few days and tag along with the instructors to see how much has changed. It's a trip I am looking forward to.
In other news. The house is having the final paint touchups tomorrow and the power is going to be turned on. In two days they will be starting on the driveway, then landscaping, then we're pretty much ready to go.
I am going to try and get the military movers, TMO, on the phone tomorrow to schedule our move for the third week of this month. We are almost there and we can't wait!
Thanks to you all for the support and for keeping up on our journeys. God bless!

No comments:
Post a Comment