Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, February 22, 2013

Retirement

     The day is fast approaching for me to say goodbye to the Air Force and like expected, it is bitter sweet. I am sad to hang this uniform up and I will miss the military environment…well parts of it that is. There is nothing that will get me to miss the hundreds of computer based slide shows that someone decided actually did some good.
    Anyway, every decision has it's trade offs and this is one I  know we have made the right choice in. We have so many opportunities ahead of us that we can hardly wait to find out what happens next.
    My last day in the Air Force is March 28th and my retirement ceremony is going to be on the 15th. Jesse has created a Facebook event and has been inviting people like crazy but for some reason it won't let us invite the people off my friend list so we know people are going to be left out of that. We also know that we don't and can't get a hold of everyone that has made such a difference in our lives. From nurses to case workers, neighbors, and complete strangers. The list of people I would have come if possible is massive and there is no way I could get invitations to them all.
     Everyone in Durango and New Mexico who help with fund raisers and who supported my family, friends and strangers who constantly sent prayers and thoughts to ours, TACP's and so many others….I know this isn't official or anything near it but you all have an invitation to come here and take part in this ceremony. If you had any sort of hand in helping my family and I get to where we are now you have a seat at Lackland on the 15th.
    As I write this I am currently surrounded by boxes and the movers will be back in thirty minutes or so. Everything is hectic right now with the move in full swing but I wanted to jet get the word out to everyone even if it's not the most efficient way. We will be in the new house next Tuesday and then our focus will be more on the upcoming ceremony so look out for more to come.
                                                     Moving van is here!
    For now, the ceremony will be in the hospital auditorium on Lackland on the 15th at 2:00pm. If you have questions or anything email me or find me on Twitter of Facebook or something and let me know.
    God bless and I can't proof read since kids are waking up right this very second! Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment