Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Slip of the Mind...

    As your all well aware the last few handfuls of months have basically just been us waiting for life to start again. Waiting on the baby, waiting on retirement, waiting on the house, waiting, waiting, waiting. Seems like that's all we have been doing.
    Well in addition to running and wake boarding and making babies, I started another hobby a few months ago that in all honesty forgot to mention to you all and at my mothers promptings I'm finally getting around to it.

    One of my favorite parts of being a blind guy is all the sweet gadgets and fun technology. It really is awesome and I LOVE it. I am the kind of guy who has to tinker with all the settings and learn all the ins and outs of everything.
    Technology from an accessibility point of view is very different and while there are lots of ways to learn how to do things from a sighted perspective there aren't many for the blind.
    YouTube is amazing but most videos are no good for blind people. Nobody describes anything very well and even if they do things are usually just different enough to make their directions almost useless.
    Because of all of this I decided to do something about it. I started off with a YouTube channel that evolved into a website then continued to morph into a podcast.
    Since everything I was doing was helping people to learn how to accomplish things blind I decided to call it How to be Blind. www.htb2.com is the website I have designed and am now running. In addition to podcasts twice a month I record, edit, and publish tutorials and articles on everything from computers to cell phones to adaptive sports and just about everything else in between.
    It all started off with a YouTube channel and I just used my Mac's internal mic. Now, I have three other hosts, a mixer, professional quality XLR mic and I work on it almost daily.
    I do all the writing, recording, editing, uploading, and so on. This hobby has been a great time filler for me and has started to become a real passion for me. I love teaching others what I've learned and I have slowly but surely been gaining followers.
    htb2.com has Facebook and Twitter and all sorts of other fun stuff so if your interested in stories about blind people and some of the amazing things they accomplish then feel free to Follow/Like and visit the website.
    My mom took some pictures of my recording set up when she was here and I'll bet that once she sees I wrote this she will post some of them.
    I didn't even know podcasts exists until going blind and now I have really gotten into it. I have always been fascinated by radio and broadcasting and this is the next best thing to it and best part is that I can do it in my free time.
    I have learned more about computers through this project than I had ever known in the 22 years prior to losing my sight. It's amazing how something can start out so simple and turn into something so much fun!



   That's it for today folks. GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment