Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Orders...

    Yesterday I officially received my orders saying that I will medically retire on January 28th. With terminal leave as well as out processing days we set the date in January. They only do medical retirements three days before the end of the month though in order to make the transition to VA benefits easier.

    The last we heard our house was expected to be finished in January or February. I left a voicemail with the contractor yesterday asking for an update and am still waiting to hear back.

   At first we were worried about separating and possibly not having a place to go until the house was done.

    After talking with an Army friend I learned that the Army can extend soldiers who are medically retired up to six months. 

   I called the housing office here and learned that we can most likely extend for two months but anything longer than that is unlikely to be approved…rest assured. If we need more time we will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

    As of now though we wouldn't have any issues. I don't know of any official plans for a retirement ceremony or anything but I assume that it will happen.

    I will be sure to post any details and  if you feel like attending please feel free.

Thank you for the support and encouragement. I really appreciate the emails and comments with nothing but support for my family and I. 

 

God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment