Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, July 29, 2011

The Late Brain Port Update

Ok so late is better than never right? Here is the post about the brain port trip finally. I wrote this whole thing like two weeks ago but for some reason it did not save and with the move and stuff I have just not had the time to re write it. So here we go...


My dad and I headed out to Pittsburgh a few weeks ago to start the Brain Port study. We started off the beginning of the week doing some tests to establish a base line for them to work from. One of these tests was where they measured my brain activity while using the device to see if there was any stimulation in the visual cortex. I guess they have discovered that after time some people start to show some positive signs.




 They also had me do things like running an O course with no assistance from my dog or cane. Needless to say, I crashed a lot.





 They had me try to identify what direction letters were facing or lines were running. All this to get a place to start from.


Over the next few days we did a lot of stuff using the device. We started by identifying shapes and objects. From there we went on to letters. I read my first word since being blind. I have never been more excited about the word CAT.
Now before I go on I want to make something clear. This device does not create vision. I am not "seeing" but rather feeling what is in front of me. The piece that rests on the tongue essentially draws what the camera is seeing and with a bit of practice someone using this can figure out what is in front of them. Its the sort of this that explaining only takes it so far. My dad sat in on the training for three days and though the understood...I made him try it out and it changed his perspective. It just crazy.
Anyway, we went from letters to doing things like picking objects up off the table and putting them into a cut. Again this is a really cool experience. I was able to look out over a table and find sugar packets and put them in a cup without having to feel them with my hands first.
From there we went and did the O course again. They put huge objects out in a hallway and we had to navigate around them. This one was the hardest of em all. Some objects were large squares, and some were just different colored sheets on the floor.....they feel the same. Its crazy that for the most part though we were able to get around that stuff. It was awesome.
The last few days we repeated all the tests that we took at the start of the week so they could measure the progress we have made. They will redo this again in six weeks and again six months from now. Who knows will happen.



While staying in Pittsburgh we decided to go on a ducky boat tour. They have taken some of the old World War Teo landing crafts and now use them as tour busses and boats. It was sweet. We hopped up on it and took off driving through the streets. After a few minutes we drove right ot into the river and kept going. Here they asked if anyone wanted to drive. I, of course, did. The guide knew I was blind and kept a close eye on me but I don't thing anyone else knew a blind guy was driving the boat. We all survived and I didn't crash into anything. Complete success. My dad did say though that I was swerving all over the place. I told him to drive without eyes and see how strait he can go.


                                                          Xxon did get a little bored.
 Well folks we have officially moved to Texas. We moved at the start of the week and were in the process of unpacking the house. We are lovin it so far. We are really close to a pool and park for the kids and the stores for Jess and I. Its pretty great. My favorite part is that we finally have grass!!!!!!! Its awesome!!!!!

Thank you all for reading this and I have to go now because the kids are screaming and I can't even hear myself thing anymore. God bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment