Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Saturday, March 31, 2012

SURPRISE!!!

Long ago when we first decided to come to Texas we were asked by a friend to fill out an application for an organization called Operation Finally Home.
        Operation Finally Home builds houses for wounded veterans and just hands them the keys. No strings attached. Just a free house.
        When we learned about this we both imagined how cool that would be to get a free house but we honestly didn't dare hold our breath. My whole life I have never won anything. Not a raffle, not bingo, not a single door prize ever. I never honestly thought that we had a real chance.
        A few weeks ago we got a call from one of the employees at Operation Finally Home and he said he wanted to meet us and get to know us. He said they were reviewing our application and we were being considered. We got our hopes up right away of course. We thought that we must be doing better than we thought.
        We met him and talked over dinner and learned about Operation Finally Home and they learned about our little family. After that dinner we went home and waited a little longer.
        We got another phone call and we we were asked to go to another dinner. This second dinner we learn that the today we would be meeting with the Board. We would have an interview process  and we would be interviewed as a finalist.
        Today we met at Tilson Home Corporation and started off with some interviews. About  20 or 30 minutes into the interview a knock comes at the door and none other than J.R. Martinez walks through the door.
        Now I have to back up and say that Jesse and Kadence didn't miss a single episode of Dancing With the Stars last season. Every week they voted for J.R. and cheered him on. Kate talked about him all the time.
        You can imagine how thrilled Jesse was when we opened the door. I was just plain confused. All I knew was someone came through the door and Jesse was freaking out and squeaking and stuff. I knew it had to be someone cool to make her do that. I was completely right.
        He came in and we talked for a little while. He let us know that it was our turn to meet the board. He also said he was a spokesman for Operation Finally Home and was here in San Antonio doing some work for them.
        We had a really nice talk as we walked through the parking lot over to another door. He led us up to it and said he would meet up with us later.
        I turned the knob and stepped through and a large group of people yelled "SURPRISE!!!!!"
        It hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't know who spoke but I heard a voice saying that we had been selected to have a brand new home built for us.  We were both so shocked we could could hardly speak. The next thirty minutes passed in a blur. I remember talking with a lot of people and thanking everyone that I came in contact with. It was absolutely amazing.
        We were standing in a model home with the basic layout of our house to be. We got to go on a tour and check it out and spend some time letting it all sink in. They told us to come home and review the layout. They asked us to think what we want added or removed, that colors we want, the type of counter tops…..all of it. It is still so hard to really believe.
        We will be going in next week to start working out details and after all of that is complete the construction will begin!
        What a blessing that there are organization out there that are willing to do so much for families like us. It is so humbling to have these experiences and we are so blessed in our lives.
        I am not sure if anyone out there reading this is involved in these organization or ones like it but I want to express my deepest gratitude. These peoples generosity has changed our lives forever.
        I don't know what I have done in life to deserve so much. An amazing family, beautiful wife and daughters, amazing friends, a great job….the list goes on. I don't get it at all but I am very humbled by it all. I don't know what else to say other than thank you, thank you, thank you.










1 comment: