Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, December 15, 2011

Still Breathing!

   Hello everyone!!! So again I will apologize for taking so long to write a post here but things have been busy. A good kind of busy.
        So a few weeks ago I got a call from public affairs saying that someone from Airman Magazine wanted to interview me. We got it all set up and arranged and before I know it the reporter, a videographer, two photographers, and a few henchmen are sitting in my office with me.
        I spent the entire morning running through a little of my story and a lot about the mentor ship program. After they were through with me they interviewed some of the RCC’s and while the did that I was taken off for a no kidding photo shoot. Talk about weird...it just seemed strange. I have never had my photo taken for real before. That is not an easy thing to do. Especially when my teammate Xxon will not cooperate with anything they tried to do.
        Everything went well though. One of the articles came out in Airman Magazine a couple of weeks ago and we have heard that he is writing another story about us too. For some reason we are just fascinating to everyone. I just plain don’t get it.
        I have had the videographer meet up and follow me around in San Antonio, Washington DC, and Montgomery AL. We are traveling pals now. He is getting a whopper of a story together as well that will be shown all over AFN so those of you down range keep your eyes up and maybe you will see us sometime soon.
        My parents and I were flown out to Washington DC last week. I was one of the military members selected to win the DOD Outstanding Service member with a Disability Award. I owe this to my RCC here for writing an awesome package. I honestly did not think that I would be selected but I was wrong.
        We had a little craziness getting out there but we all made it and we had a great time. I still can’t imagine tackling that metro solo. I don’t know how those guys go it.
        There were some video cameras there as well and I am starting to hear via Facebook that I am in some sort of commercial or something on AFN now....I had no idea that was even going on. If any of you have seen this and know anything about it please feel free to update me.
        I just got home from Alabama a few days ago. I was asked to go over and speak again after the last trip. I figure that is a sign that I did alright the first time. The new part was that my dad came out this time to speak with me.
        What a difference it made. We went on stage at the same time and kinda traded off as the story went on. It worked out really well though. When it was his turn it gave me time to reorganize my thoughts and remember the little details I wanted to include. We have already been invited back. Awesome!
        I spent the hour before I went on playing the banjo with one of the Coast Guard guys that works there at the academy. Boy am I rusty. I really need to practice before I go back. That guy was amazing though!!! He could play just about anything and he did play just about every single banjo song I have ever heard. It was awesome!!
        Another interesting little fact was the room I stayed in. My dad has pictures that I am sure he will post soon. This place was nice. It was almost as big and certainly nicer than my first apartment. I heard from a different source that the room I stayed in was the one that CMSgt Roy stays in. No wonder it was so amazing!!!
   So we will be going around over the next few days collecting and posting links to all of the articles that have come out over the last week. There has been about four of them but the one from Airman Magazine has the most detail. He did a great job.
        Christmas is upon us and we are looking forward to it! I am sure we will have some good stories and a lot of pictures after it’s all over.
   One last fast story. My dad came to the house before Alabama and Kadence proceeded to tell him about our neighbor who is pregnant with triplets. She is like 5ft 2in and has a large belly....like anyone with triplets would have.
        Well Kate told my dad that “She has a big ole belly, just like you”!!! I could not stop laughing!!! Kids are awesome.
God bless you all and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. The expression "When God closes one door, he opens another" is so true of your life!

    ReplyDelete