Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, October 29, 2010

Its all about the A...



    So last week my parents, Jesse and I got to go on one of the coolest trips I have ever been on. A very awesome person was able to get a hold of the proper people and next thing I knew we had tickets to an Avalanche game. We all took off with reservations at the Ridgeline Restaurant at the Pepsi Center as well as club level seating.

    We pulled up and as we stepped out of the car we were greeted by a camera crew from the Altitude channel who broadcasts the Avs games. They informed us that they would be shooting a little footage to put on TV a few days later. We were taken into the restaurant which was paid for by a charity. As we ate dinner, the general manager of the team came up to visit and introduce himself. After a nice talk with him he left and we  continued to eat.

    Toward the end of the meal a few representatives from the Avalanche came up to introduce themselves and give us some awesome hats. In one of the emails I wrote to someone there I mentioned that the 95/96 season was when I started watching and that I had been a fan since then. After mentioning this they pulled out a poster of the 95 team with all of the signatures on it. I was caught so off guard that I just stood there, probably with my mouth hanging open like a fish out of water. I told my family after that this poster was worth more than solid gold. I will be getting it framed and put on the wall next to the other Avalanche things I have.

    So after an awesome dinner we headed down to our seats. We were sitting right against the glass at what would have been the thirty yardline if this had been football.  The game was great!  At one point some employees came down the stairs to sing happy birthday to me but right as they got next to me a stray puck came flying over the glass and hit one of them right in the nose promptly splitting her nose open and making her bleed all over the place. Of course I had no idea what was going on. The puck hit me in the foot so I was consumed with trying to figure out what that was while Jesse was handing baby wipes over me to the lady bleeding all over the stairs. The paramedics made the little group go back up the stairs to take care of her because there was not enough room for all of them down front. I am guessing it was because they did not want to block anyone elses view. They came back sometime in the next period and sang for me without any further incident. After that a guy from the Altitude radio station came down and did an interview with me.  We did not get to watch or hear any of these interviews but a few days later a cousin of mine said that while she was hanging out with some friends she heard one of them say "Who wears sunglasses to a hockey game?" This of course got her attention and when she looked there we all were, watching the game.

    The last thing that happened was the mascot, Bernie, came down and gave Kadence a little stuffed dog wearing Avs gear.

    If you are wondering the Avs were playing the San Jose Sharks which is who I went and saw earlier this year in Palo Alto. I wanted to go to this game to watch the Avs give them a nice beating...but it went the other way. The Avs lost but it was still a great game.

    I want to thank all of those who played a part in making this happen. You know who you are and I am so grateful. I have always wanted to go to an Avs game but never had the chance until now. It was absolutely amazing. Thank you again. I also want to thank the Pepsi Center employees  and the Avalanche and all those who work for them for making this happen. We all had an amazing time. I will never forget that trip.

    Thank you all for reading and I hope you all have a happy Halloween. God bless!!

stopping for some lunch on the way to Denver

Cheesecake Factory!

shopping


Kadence loved playing under the covers
headed back home

dinner time on 16th Street

wandering around

dinner at the Ridgeline Restaurant

on the phone with his best friend

the game!


the mascot, Bernie

fulfilling a dream

No comments:

Post a Comment