Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, November 25, 2013

A Touching Story

This story was originally posted on www.malarsie.com on the 7th of November. Please take some time to hop over there and subscribe if you haven't already.

 

 

The other day Jesse came across a story that people had been posting about an experience a travel blogger named Johnny Jet had recently. Jesse had never heard of him before but he is a regular on one of my favorite weekend radio shows called The Tech Guy. So I knew about him and what he does.

He recently found himself on a flight that was escorting a fallen soldier back home and witness the family greeting the casket. I’m sure you can imagine the emotions in our home while reading this.

Jesse was reliving the day when she went through the exact same thing and had to take a few breaks to compose herself. I on the other hand was picturing her as she had that experience and thinking of the four friends I lost back in 2010. This story changed the mood in our home. It humbled us and helped us take a little break from “life” and just appreciate our blessings for a little while.

I took the opportunity to send an email to Johnny Jet and thank him for sharing this very emotional experience. Sometimes I think it’s hard for people who have never served or had close family serve, to really understand what this is like. It’s happening on the other side of the world and it just seems so far away.

This post gives everyone a small glimpse into what life is like for those who have sacrificed for our country. I am strengthened by my amazing wife and the way she has been able to handle the things she has been through. Far too often is she left in the background while I’m in the spotlight because my wounds are the ones people can see. What I’ve been through pales in comparison to what she has dealt with. She is my inspiration.

 

Jesse you’re my rock. I love you!

 

For the rest of you, go read this amazing story that Johnny Jet shared. This is the month where everyone is thinking about the things they’re most thankful for so I feel that this is very appropriate.

Read Johnny’s post

 

Thank you Johnny Jet for sharing this story on your website and with the listeners of the Tech Guy. It has been able to touch a lot of lives and help people understand the sacrifices that are being made every single day for them. 

 

Please share this amazing story with your friends and family. thank you all for reading.

 

God bless

2 comments: