I have to admit, being retired feels like being free again! It's weird to think that I don't need to ask permission from anyone to be able to travel or do something "high risk". It's a good feeling.
WIth this new found freedom I told the folks over at Operation Finally Home that if they wanted someone to talk to potential donors or builders to let me know and I will do what I can to help. They did give us a house after all. It's the least I can do.
So a few days ago I got to travel out near Houston and meet with some people interested in helping out OFH. After about thirty minutes a reference to me being blind was made.
one of the people we were meeting with stopped the conversation and said,
"Wait, your blind? I've had no idea this whole time!! You keep looking at me!"
I always take this as a compliment of sorts. I never quite know how a blind person is supposed to act but I'm glad I don't act like that. Maybe I need to look up in the rafters when I talk to people so they will understand. Who knows. Maybe someone else whose spent time with other blind people can fill me in.
I decided to get really crazy and try some fish, which I have hated my entire life. Perhaps it's because I grew up in New Mexico and the fish there leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, while the rest of the table was downing oysters like popcorn I was working up the nerve to order some Mahi-Mahi.
Long story short I actually enjoyed it and who knows, I might even try it again someday.
The meeting went really well and OFH should be getting a call in the near future with some good news in it. I don't know what it will be but I'm excited either way. It's amazing what this organization is doing for military families. I'm glad to be associated with them!
No comments:
Post a Comment