Yes indeed everyone. I am taking up scuba diving. There is an organization out there called the Dive Pirates which is helping make it happen. They are a non profit that take people like me, get them scuba certified, supplie all the gear, and take us to the Cayman Islands for a week. Pretty amazing stuff.
Well I got online and did that portion of the training a few weeks ago and last Saturday was my first time under the water. It is such a cool feeling!! Dive Masters is a local shop here that is helping me out and is also involved with the Dive Pirates organization. Awesome place and awesome people. They have a pool there at their shop and that was where we did our diving.
This first visit was mainly to get me comfortable in the water and also familiar with all the gear and how to assemble and disassemble everything. I am very excited to get back there and get in the water again.
For those of you who maybe curious, Dive Pirates works off of donations. That is how they can pay for all the gear and trips for the people they help. This organization has really helped me so I am helping them a little in return by posting their website here. Anyone can go and donate. There is also an option to donate specifically to one person, or in my case, my brother in law and I who are doing this together.
Divepirates.org
So in other news.....
I had the opportunity on Monday to sit down with a few awesome people and talk a little about my new job. The Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force and his amazing wife. We got to spend about thirty minutes talking about what this program is, what the intentions are, and what is happening now to help out other wounded, ill, and injured.
I have had the opportunity to meet Chief and Mrs. Roy in the past and each time I am reminded that there are people out there in leadership positions that do care about what is happening to us little guys.
I had to laugh when we first talked. It being a Monday, the uniform of the day are the Air Force Blues. When the Chief walked up and shook my hand he asked me what I was all dressed up for....
It still takes me by surprise how....normal.....the people who run this Air Force are. Before I met them I just assumed they were always very serious and about the business....which I am sure at times they are...but I was surprised at first to be able to just relax with the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. Not a thing I had ever considered.
It is almost Halloween so we have pumpkins to carve. We will post pictures soon.
Go Texas Rangers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great opportunity with the Dive Pirates. Also neat meeting the Chief Master Sergeant. Good Luck!
ReplyDelete