Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, May 26, 2011

Updates and things to come

     Good morning everyone. Again I apologize for the lack of posts here but some of the excitement of last year has not quite carried on to this one. However, there are some pretty cool things on the horizon.
    Before I go into what is coming I will tell you all a little about whats going on now. First and foremost, Sophie getting close to two months old already and she has grown quite a bit. She loves to eat and is nearing ten pounds rapidly. Even after all that has happened it is still so strange to have a baby around that I am responsible for. She is a great baby though and her big sister loves having her around. To anyone she talks to she refers to Sophie as "her baby". She is a very good big sister. Sometimes these girls don't want to share their mother but little Kae is doing absolutely awesome.
    Kadence is also growing like a weed. Its amazing how a new baby can make the older ones seem so much bigger. She is puttin sentences together and most of the time actually makes sense when she is talking....which is just about all the time. She talks, sings, tells stories, and even has a few of her books just about memorized and reads them to me before bed. She is an amazing kid.
    A quick story about Kadence....A few days ago the four of us were driving through Albuquerque and Kae was letting loose her usual constant chatter and Jesse and I were only partially listening. She caught our attention when she started saying that she was feeling sick. I turned around and asked her what was hurting her. She said that it was her stomach and gave a little moan. I asked what was wrong with it and she said that her baby was moving and making her sick. This was the last thing we were expecting to hear. Jesse and I could not stop laughing. Kadence of course had no idea what was so funny but being her usual happy self just joined right in and started laughing with us.. Apparently she still remembers what her mom was going through a few months ago.
    Now for the future....
     The closest thing we have going on is a donors benefit type event out in Conneticut with Fidelco. They are essentially throwin a party for the people who have donated to them and help them do what they do. We are going to attend and meet with some of the people from the Newmans Own Foundation who were the ones who donated the money for my guide dog, who is doing awesome I may add. We are taking the whole family this time and we are excited to see how Kadence reacts to all the dogs and  puppies that will be around there.
    The Brain Port study is also getting close to starting. In the very near future I will be flying out to Pittsberg to get started. I will spend a week there while they run some tests on me, train me how to use the device, have me run an obsticle course a few times, and after the week I will bring the Brain Port home. AFter six weeks I will go back for a few days and they will run thte tests again to see how I have adapted to using the device. Six months after that I will go back and do the testing again. After the short demo I had last year at the Google facility I am very excited to get started! The woman who brought it out to California then wont be around however because she is having a baby of her own. I just want to add my congratulations to her and her family.
    The ball is also rolling on our move to Texas, how fast though I am not sure. McConnell is working the orders now and we are waiting for further notice. We are excited and sad to leave at the same time. We are looking forward to getting to where we will be permanently but will miss all the close family and friends. I am very excited to get back to wwork. I miss having to get up every day and do something allday long. I tell Jesse thatI miss the sense of accomplishment that usually comes with working every day. Sometimes that lacks when I am just hanging around the house all day. There are just not enough things to do around here. We cant wait to get settled and get into a real family routine. Kae is going to be confused when I start leaving every day. SHe thinks that both parents are supposed to stay home all day.
    So the last thing I can think of is an antelope hunt that my dad and I applied for last November. I just got the acceptence package in the mail and we have an open slot with 14 other wounded veterans to head to Wyoming in the end of September to go hunting. I am stoked. They have some sort of system that adapts a rifle for people with no eyes and I can't wait to try it out.
    Well thats about all that I can scrape out of my head right now. Jesse will probably think of a few more things for me to add but since she is not here right now I will have to add it later. Thank you all for reading and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment