holding Sophie for the first time
In the car her belly sat about a fourth of an inch away from the steering wheel and since she has such short legs she could not move back and still be able to reach the pedals. Because of this our trips out of the home on our own were becoming very limited. The only places we really went were her doctor appointments and Wal Mart. Needless to say we were all ready to get that little baby out of her.
Wednesday the 6th was about as normal as any other day had been. Jesse felt about as normal as a pregnant woman does and was in the mindset that Sophie was going to wait until she could walk before she was going to come out. Jesse's cousin had her baby that morning and her family was telling Jess that she needed to have her baby on the 6th too.
Well about 6:30pm she started contractions. At first we thought these were more of the fake ones that had been happening all the time but after she started timing them and they became more intense we decided it was time to get in gear. I called my parents and said it was time to have a baby and they immediately started the trip over.
My dad stayed at our house with Kadence and the dogs while my mom drove Jesse and I up to Albuquerque. I never thought it was possible for my mom to drive so fast. Never in my life had I ever seen her go more than five over. Well this trip made up for the years of lost time.
We made the trip amazingly fast and Jesse and I were stepping out of the car at 8:15. We ran up to the fifth floor and got ourselves checked in. While Jesse was laying in the bed waiting for the docs to come check her out she decided that the epidural would be a good idea. Sophie did not agree. When the docs finally looked she was over 7cm dilated and they said there would be no time.
They rushed us into the delivery room and by the time things were ready to start happening it must have been around 8:45. I was so lost and confused that checking the time was the last thing I was thinking about.
Well almost before it even seemed to have started it was over. 6lb 13.2oz, 19in baby Sophie was born at 9:00pm. It surprised everyone how fast it all went. I am sure that to Jesse it seemed to take much longer but now looking back she agrees that it was quite a shock. We very nearly had Sophie born in the front seat of our car.
The night Sophie was born there was some kind of surge in baby births so there was no room for me to stay the night with my girls. I got to spend about 2 hours with them before I was shuffled out the door. Jesse was taken to a room, bunked up with a roommate, and spent most of the night filling out papers that for some reason could not wait for a reasonable time of day. I mean come on folks, she just had a baby....give the poor girl a break. Sophie got no rest either. By the morning the poor baby had to have 3 blood draws and a couple shots as well. Rough welcome to the world in my opinion.
I was back at the hospital early the next morning with my mom, dad and Kadence. That little girl immediately took to her new little sister. First thing through the door she was asking where Sophie was and was asking to hold her. We sat her down on the foot of the bed and laid Sophie across her lap. She loved it. She also quickly became her little protector. I knelt down and stroked Sophie's head and Kadee tells me, without missing a beat, "Hey don't touch her, she is resting." I could not help but laugh. Most people have to ask permission from Kadee to hold her and few if any get approval. She is very strict.
We all got to come home Friday around 7:00pm and we have been adjusting to this new addition well. My family has been helping out with Kadee as well as helping us run errands. We are also blessed to have families from our church bring us dinner every night since we came home.
It is so nice to have this little girl here at last. She has a very full head of hair is either sleeping or making some of the funniest noises I have ever heard. I never thought children could be so amazing. It is amazing how different it is when the baby is your own. We are so blessed to have this new addition to our family and I am so blessed to have Jesse, Kadence, and Sophie with me all day. I am aware that I am becoming largely out numbered. Next time I need to try for a boy or I am really in trouble. I am determined not to repeat my childhood and live with a house full of girls. My dad always said that with a wife and 4 daughters he could be wrong in any room in the house...I have a feeling I am going to really find out what that is like.
Last thoughts...my sister Kally is due this Saturday with her fourth son. I am looking forward to when he gets here and I wish Kally the best. Now get with it sis and have that baby!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment