Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bark for life!

    Saturday the 16th I got invited to go and speak at an event put on by the American Cancer Society called Bark for Life. A whole lot of people, vendors, Vets, and plain ole dog lovers showed up to show their support.
    They kicked things off with a walk for all of the people who brought their dogs and the nthey went into the speakers and then some games. I had an opportunity to get up and talk a little about my guide dog as well as other service dogs I have come across in my time in the hospitals. This brought up some fond memories. I remember a little parade of dogs that would come through my room in Walter Reed. they were some of the best visitors I had.Then of course there were the dogs out in Palo Alto. The blind center got almost weekely visits  and those dogs were a hit. The best was Valentines Day right before I started at the blind center. A man and his little lab came into my room and the lab was carrying a basket full of chocolate in his mouth.Needless to say, even if I were not a dog lover I would have been after all that.
     After I got up and game my thoughts they went into  some games. They had a musical chair style sit competition as well as an Easter egg  hunt for the dogs. It was a blast. thanks to those who got the invite to me.






In other news, our little family is doing great. Sophie had put on a pound since she was born and is doing awesome. All the excitement is comin from Kadee. She has the stomach flu and has been quite the running mess lately. The fun of children ha ha.

    Other than that we are still waiting on news on everything else. We got Sophie here and now we can get some other projects going. We will see what I can come up with. God bless all!

P.S.  Pictures will follow shortly. My photographer is not home at the moment. Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment