Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Saturday, March 5, 2011

Smooth...

    So I was planning after I got blown up to try and avoid injury to myself. I never broke a bone or had stitches growning up and if you ask my parents that is quite a miracle. So January '10 came around and I made up for all the injuries I never had.
   Well I was hoping to go back to my old unbreakable self but guess what....I failed. It really is a silly story but I know that there have been loads of people that have done this also so I don't feel bad about it. I was getting out of the car the other day and had an arm load of stuff. I got out and started to shut the door with my left hand. Well I was closer to the car than I thought and therefore ran out of room and the good ole door shut on my thumb latching firmly in place. I made no noise, just jerked it free and went to open the garage for Jesse. Then I walked over to her and held out my thumb asking her how it looked. Well obviously not so good. It was bleeding from when I yanked it out and was throbbing something fierce.
   Of course it had to be my left hand too. For those of you who don't know I am left handed and I also walk Xxon on my left side. Needless to say we have been unable to walk around the past two days and doing things with my right hand it quite difficult. The first day half of my cereal at breakfast ended up spread all over my side of the table.. my toast also would haver a very patchy buttering job. Parts were totally bare while others had enough to butter the rest of the loaf.
    I was hoping that when I did hurt myself again it would be something impressive like falling down some stairs or something like that. But no, I unfortunately had to settle for shutting my own finger in the door. The really funny (ironic) part is that just the day before I accidentally shut Xxon's tail in the door and just shook my head and blamed him for not paying attention. Well karma strikes again. I am sure he has been gloating while I talk about my smashed thumb. We're quite the pair.
    So be careful with those doors folks. Stay safe and watch those fingers.




1 comment:

  1. Hope you don't think this is all that will happen to you! LOL! AND I do have a hard time believing you have never hurt yourself before! That's just not right!

    ReplyDelete