So yesterday we had Sophie's little baby shower. This is the first infant related shower I have ever been to and I must say it was not what I expected. I heard this was going to happen and that it was going to be a "guys allowed" party I began to get a little nervous. I mean really, what on earth was I expected to do while a bunch of ladies get together, eat baby shaped cookies, swap traumatizing birthing stories, and open packages with clothing so small I thought it was for a toy baby not a real one.
This however was not how it was. Jesse and I showed up to my family setting up all kinds of food and decorations for this little event. The girls in my family had planned it to be more of an open house, come and go as you please, type of event. As they took me around and were telling me what was going on we came across a diaper cake. My first thought was, "Cool, a cake that is shaped like a diaper!" Then I was told that it was actually a bunch of diapers in the shape of a cake. This confused me. I did not understand why someone would use diapers to make a cake instead of use an actual cake and make it look like a diaper. I mean, the taste difference is much more noticeable than you might think. I did not learn until later that the diapers are actually for me and Jesse to keep and put on our little girl as she needs them. It was quite the learning experience for me.
So we had lots of family and a bumch of good friends show up and spent some good time together. With a house full of people and all their kids and a back yard full of dogs (six to be exact) the noise was pretty much non stop until we sat down to open the gifts people had brought for us. This is the part I did have right. Until this point I had not really been into holding , playing with, and hanging out in general with infants. I had no idea how little they can be. We got loads of the smallest kitty, polka dot, and lacey jump suit things, I couldn't believe it. It's amazing how little baby people are. On the flip side however, I can't imagine having a person of any size grow inside my body. Hanging out all day with a prego wife has really made me grateful that I am a man. More importantly it has made me very grateful for her and her willingness to go through what she has to to bring a little life into this world. After witnessing this I am pretty sure that had I been a girl I would not have many children. This just seems way too hard. All of you mothers have earned my respect and I thank you all for your willingness to do what you do.
So before I ramble on any more, I just want to thank all of those who helped plan, throw and those who attended the baby shower. Especially the other guys that were there to keep me company. If not for you guys I most likely would have been outside with the dogs or on the play house slide with the little kids. Thank you all for the great baby shower.
Thank you all as always for reading. Sorry it has taken me so long to post. We have been doing lots of things and staying as busy as possible. We are looking forward to whatever adventures life has got next. God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment