Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, September 30, 2013

Why Someone Who Hates Running Keeps Doing It

Originally posted on malarsie.com

 

 

    For those who have been reading this blog but don't know me personally, you may be surprised to learn that I actually hate running. Since moving to Texas I've been doing plenty of it though. A handful of 5k and 6k races, a ten miler, and a half marathon all last year. But guess who hates running. Yes, me.

     Back in tech school in Hurlburt Field Florida we were all forced to run six miles. This was the farthest I had ever run and I was not happy about it. Before that point I think I had probably gone 2 miles by choice. I hated the act of running and the only reason I did it was because the military said I had to.

     So what's different now? Why all the races and practice all by choice when I still hate running? It took me some thinking to actually come up with what I think is the reason but I think I've got it.

      I was very very active before I lost my sight. I was working and doing all sorts of things throughout the day that kept me busy. By the end of the day or week I would just be content to lounge about on the couch.

      So fast forward to now, I'm blind, have a family, and am faced with the reality that comes along with it. I can't just get out whenever I want, I can't do all the things I once did. So I've had to find new ways to occupy my time, stay in a shape other than round, and get that sense of accomplishment that I'd been missing.

     The first half marathon I did was with a fellow TACP who actually is a runner. He knew I needed something to do and when he asked if I wanted to run I told him yes. That training confirmed that I still indeed did not like to run. It takes forever, it gets boring, and makes me tired. How lazy right?

     When race day came I felt excited and a little nervous like everyone does their first time. Everything went great though and when I crossed that line I felt like I had done something awesome. Something that not a whole lot of people do. It was an amazing feeling and even though I found walking a little painful for the next few days I discovered that it was all worth it. It had been a long time since I had set a really challenging goal for myself and reached it. I had just been coasting through life and getting complacent. I didn't realize how much I dislike just floating through life until that point.

     So here I sit. Still not enjoying the actual act of running but loving the feeling once it's over. Even the training days are enjoyable, once the running is over. I've learned that I hate to run but love to finish.

     So how many of you are reading this with nothing really to do and just living day by day. Are you accepting life as is and just coasting? I challenge you to sign up for a 5K this fall and just try it out. Seriously. Do it and let me know how you feel once it's all over. If 5K is no big deal then go bigger. challenge yourself!! You just might like it. The feeling is contagious. That's what happened to me.

      coming up on October 12th is the ING Hartford Marathon. Fidelco has asked me to come up and run as their team captain. Being a person who likes challenges I agreed as long as being captain doesn't mean I had to run the fastest.

      I also just signed up for a local night run here in San Antonio called the Illuminations Run. It's a holiday race and myself and a bunch of friends from lackland and New Braunfels are all gearing up for the race.

     Funny how someone who hates running has all these races to look forward to isn't it. Like I said, if you don't understand where I'm coming from with all of this then you need to try it. if you don't know what it's like to set a challenging goal then spend months training to reach it then your missing out. Give me a call, I'll do it with you. I'm always looking for people to run with!

Thanks for reading and god bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment