Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, February 6, 2012

Blazing the trail...

   So as I am sure you all have realized, my decision to try and stay in the Air Force won't happen without having to overcome some pretty big hurtles. Things like what career field I will belong to, PT tests, and my number one…promotions.        I am eager to take these challenges on, not only for myself but for others who may come after me. If I can get policy changed things will be great. It is unfortunate that it is so hard and timely to change things. If often seems that people have their rules and regulations and when a case doesn't fit the "mold" they just say its impossible when in reality it just takes a little effort beyond what is normal.
        My biggest challenge right now is promotion. I was told about a year ago by Air Force Personnel Center or AFPC that I am unable to test for promotion. Because they have never tried it they told me that I would have to wait until I reach the average time in grade, which is rank, and average time in service, which is total time in the military. I was told that as a Senior Airman the average time to make SSgt. was 1.8 years. For me that was last July. I was told that average time in service was 5 years, which is this May.
        First off, this alone is putting me on a slow track. I know people that I trained as new guys at my old unit that are wearing SSgt. stripes right now. I know for a fact that if I had the chance to test that I would have made it by now.
        I was told today that things have changed. Now it would appear that there is some sort of "look back" period and they won't even consider me for SSgt. until November. Really?
        Why is it that every time I ask the rules I get different answers? I don't want to sit around and wait until I can have an additional stripe handed to me. I want to earn the rank I wear.
        I have had a few people bring up step promotions. After checking into this I learned that it would be possible but that there are some courses required before it is possible. After looking into it I found out that I can't take the course now but that it is possible to have a waiver. Again, this is not ideal for me. I want to earn it. I want to do what is required of everyone else. I was also told that it would get worked on as soon as I am out of patient status….if you have had any involvement with the med board process you know that it is a very long process. If things go that way it means that nothing will happen for at least another year. I find this unacceptable.  A few months ago I was handed an award for "Outstanding performance with a disability." The Air Force was recognized for their willingness to accommodate my needs. Personally I think it was too soon. I have no real chance at advancement. These issues have easy fixes. I have a handful of ways right off the top of my head to fix it. Why then is it so hard to get a hold of someone who can make these things happen? The civilian world has been doing this sort of thing for years. It is nothing new to them. Just the Air Force. This issue has easy fixes, it just needs someone with more power than myself to get involved.
        I want to ask you readers for help with this. If you know of ways I can get through all this red tape and really spark some change I would really appreciate help and advice. Please send me an email with any thoughts, ideas, or actions you think may be helpful. My email address is malarsie@gmail.com.
        I have said this before….this is for the Air Force folks reading this….the Army has been doing this already. They have made this possible. They have 100% blind people serving on Active Duty. I personally can't sit back and let the Army do something better than the Air Force without giving it my best shot.
        I want everyone to know and realize that I am serious about making these changes happen.I am going to fight to stay on Active Duty and along with that I am going to fight for my right to compete and advance just like everyone else. I love being in the military, I love being in the Air Force. I feel like that I have sacrificed enough to be able to ask that I be given the chance to prove my worth again and be treated equally.
        Since I joined I have heard the term MEO or Military Equal Opportunity all the time. There are courses, magnets, and fliers all over the military….it is time they put the money where their mouth is and step up to the plate. Let's make it happen.
        Thank you all for reading and for the support you give me. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment