Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Farewell to a friend...

Most of you don't know that I owe a lot of where I am and the job i have today to a man named John Beckett. From the beginning John did all he could to help me in any way possible. He listened to all of my ideas about what I wanted to do with my life and helped me get things in order in my own head.

        He is also the one who called me and asked if I wanted to be part of this mentorship program. If it weren't for him and his belief in me I would not be here today.
        We have had a few trips to D.C. where John worked and got to spend some time with him.
        He was an outstanding tour guide! He narrated everything as we drove around and I never had to wonder what was around us.
        He took us to Walter Reed to visit the doctors and nurses who helped me recover and he tried to take us to a place called The Dairy Godmother. He raved about it and got us all excited to try it out….it was a Tuesday and for some reason they aren't open Tuesdays. We had a good laugh and headed off to find something else.
        He took extremely good care of us and was a truly selfless man.
     It wasn't long before I heard that he changed jobs. I called him to find out that he was battling cancer. I had no idea. He was always so cheerful and bright and I just never even thought that something could have been wrong.
        Over the last few months we got news that his condition was getting worse. He was getting treatment often and it kept him from work but when I would call him he was as cheerful as ever.
        My parents and I got to see him the last time we were in D.C. We got to talk for a little while in the hallway of the Pentagon about a lot of things.
        If I would not have known what was happening I never would have even a hint. He was laughing, smiling, and just enjoying his life. He fully understood the gravity of his situation but instead of feeling sorry for himself he went out and made other people’s days brighter. We can all take a lesson from John Beckett and apply it in our own lives.
        John Beckett’s funeral is this Friday at Arlington National Cemetery. John is a hero of mine and I can think of no better resting place than among those other heroes. I am honored to have known such an amazing person and my life is blessed because of him.

        Our thoughts and prayers go out with John and also to the family that are still here and hope that they can find some comfort in the fact that John blessed and changed the lives of so many that he came in contact with. John will be missed and remember by those he came in contact with forever.
Thank you for everything John. You have changed the lives of my family and me for the better. It is an honor to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment